Fall is a good time to check the batteries of your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and detectors.
Every year 1,800 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning.
This odorless, tasteless and colorless gas produces symptoms that are similar to the flu, but without a fever and include:
- and Irregular breathing
If you have any of these symptoms, go outside for a while. If your symptoms disappear while you are out, and then reappear when you go inside, you may have carbon monoxide poisoning.
Open doors and windows immediately, leave your home as quickly as possible and contact your local fire department for help.
The risk of carbon monoxide death is highest for the very young (ages 4 years or younger) or the very old (ages 75 years or older).
If you have a wood burning stove and it is being used please try to have some ventilation in the home.
If you have a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm system that is great...and you may be able to reduce home insurance costs.
...... They are a wonderful investment and SAVE LIVES