Who Will I Reach?
- You need to know that wireless phone service may not be available in the wilderness.
- If service is available, your 9-1-1 call for help will be picked up by the nearest cellular tower in the most direct line of sight to your location. It could be picked up at a county 9-1-1 center, by State Patrol dispatch, or even by the Canadian authorities. Since these call answering centers are all located outside the boundaries of the calling area, they would have no way of knowing from where you are calling unless you tell them.
- Be prepared to provide your location.
- Remember, help may be several hours away or longer.
- Use 9-1-1 only in case of an actual emergency.